sábado, 3 de octubre de 2026

Correcting the Past (1960) - "VLADIMIRO MONTESINOS PRESIDENT OF PERU" A novel by Daniel Gutiérrez Híjar

 

"That good-for-nothing Vladimiro doesn't know what to do with his life," said Francisco after finishing his fourth glass of pisco. "But I do."

The shoemaker listened attentively: Francisco would be paying for the night's drinks. Though merely a scribe, he had defeated a distinguished, decorated lawyer in a smuggling case. Francisco possessed resources that could only be learned in the dives and judicial cantinas; resources capable of bending any verdict.

"He's going to Lima, damn it. I'm sending him to the Military School."

He gestured to the waiter: another bottle.

"Wasn't he going to be a lawyer, buddy? What happened with all that Ugarteche business? People were already saying he'd end up working as an assistant to President Prado," the shoemaker joked.

"I won't allow you to mock me, compadre."

Pancho didn't tolerate mockery from anyone—not even from the shoemaker, who was his best friend.

"That good-for-nothing Manuelito Ugarteche, since he's got his uncle in the presidency, doesn't want to do me any favours. He says they could later denounce him for influence peddling. Shitty coward. He doesn't want to get his hands dirty, he says. As if he were some holy dove. And that's after I defended him from the school bullies when we were kids. But that's how people are: ungrateful. Fortunately, my contacts at the barracks are real men and reliable."

"You've got contacts there, compadre?"

"Of course. Military men always need someone to wipe their asses. I've told you several times how many I've saved from the clink. And me being a paper-pusher, as those pompous, stuck-up shitty lawyers call me. The thing is, I know how the judicial system in this country is run. Justice loves discretion."

The shoemaker, who drank moderately, fixed his attention on the establishment's door. A man, who made no effort to hide the revolver tucked into his belt, over his shirt, entered looking in every direction.

"Where's Pancho?" he shouted.

"Hey, Captain," Francisco celebrated. "Come over here. We were just talking about you."

The captain approached Francisco and took a seat at one side of his table.

"Your Vladimiro already has his spot reserved at the School. My contact bumped a guy from Huaraz," said the military man. "Where's my glass? I know how to be thirsty too."

***

"What do you mean he doesn't meet the age requirement?" Francisco grew agitated. Two empty bottles of pisco drummed on the table.

"He doesn't meet it, Doctor," said the major. He picked up the pistol he had left on the table. "I'm leaving now. I just came to tell you that." The idiot captain hadn't noticed that detail.

With that static gesture, thousands of ideas tumbled through Francisco's mind, tripping over each other and tangling together, leaving him even more confused.

"I came to tell you in person so you don't think I played you dirty. I entrusted the matter to that fool of a captain, and now look how that crap slipped past him."

"And when does admissions close?" said Francisco, a light in his eyes.

The pistol already in his belt, a cigarette lighting his mouth, the major said in a week. "But it's pointless: in a week your son won't meet the required age."

"Of course he will," said Francisco, rising from the table, lucid and steady, as if he hadn't drunk a single drop of pisco. "You had one foot in jail and I got you out even though the prosecutor had everything to convict you. Not even the devil himself could have saved you."

The major looked at Francisco from a distance. Was he throwing the jail matter in his face again? He had done the favour Francisco asked in exchange for the matter being buried forever. If he was going to keep up the same old song, he was a damn fool; a bullet to the head would end everything. He put a hand to his pistol.

"No," said Francisco, reading the major's intentions. "I'm not blackmailing you, major. Nor am I going to ask you for another favor. I'm only reminding you that for me, nothing is impossible. I kindly ask you for one hour of your time; nothing more."

"One hour?" said the major, checking his watch.

"One hour. In one hour, Vladimiro will meet the required age to enter the School. Come with me to my office."

The major, invaded by curiosity, thrust his jaw forward. "Let's go."

***

"Just like that?" said the major, not believing what the paper Francisco had just handed him said.

"Just like that," he confirmed. "Just as easy as it was to beat the prosecutor in your case, major. In this humble office, without grand adornments, without titles, without medals, without decorations, I can resurrect Hitler and, if I want, take him to the presidency of the country."

The major tucked the document into his briefcase.

"Well, with this Vladimiro is part of the School. I'll take care of the paperwork myself. Congratulations."

They shook hands.

"Staying a while longer? There are still two bottles of pisco they owe me at the tavern," said Francisco, proud, about to burst with happiness.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario