jueves, 10 de enero de 2013

Danny Bhoy

I have this friend from university, Nasir, who is living in Australia since he left Peru some months ago. Dutifully, he managed to get a well-paid job there and now he lives with his family: his wife and his little daughter.

From the pictures he regularly sends to friends, one can see that his home is located in one of the most peaceful places in Australia.

Nasir is obsessed with Aussies’ English accent (an Australian man or woman is also known as an Aussie). He finds it amusing and interesting, but mainly amusing. Since he has few neighbors (almost no one) he watches Aussies videos on Youtube. He prefers to watch funny videos rather than dull speeches of people from the government or cultural spheres.

Through his web search he has come across Danny Bhoy (1974), an Indo-Scottish comedian who has performed in many countries throughout the world.

So my friend has sent to me these following videos I would like to share with you:

Video 1:




In this video he makes the audience picture what funny situations may occur if the Scottish soccer team would classify to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, a dry country in the Middle East. Apparently, Scottish people have a peculiar love for alcohol –it is well known that alcohol is not allowed in Qatar-. So Danny Bhoy makes fun of his paisanos going to that country where they can get lashed if they drink a single drop of, for example, beer. Also, you cannot use offensive language in Qatar. So, how Scottish people will swear when the referee judges wrong in a soccer match?

Then he talks about Australia. That’s when his funny speech turns more hilarious. This man knows his job. He asks the audience how Aussies name “off license” places (liquor stores). The answer he gets is Bottle O’, which is short for “Bottle of Shop”. Here, and this is really funny, he represents an Australian committee that sets up names for things. It seems that people from Australia uses obvious names for things. He says: “Next, we need a name for that Great Big Barrier Riff at the top of the country, anyone? Oh, I’ve just been told there’s already a South Wales in Britain. So we’ll need a new name”. And what’s the name Aussies came up with? NEW South Wales. You got to hear it from Danny’s mouth.

Then he points out that Aussie expression for telling the truth, for being honest: “Balls out”.

Notice how Australian people say “mate”. I mean, they don’t pronounce it “meit”. No, they say “mait”. I utterly understand why my friend Nasir is so keen on Aussies’ English accent.


Video 2:



I just fell from my chair when I saw this: Danny Bhoy imitates so well a confrontation in the Italian Parliament. The Italian parliamentarians kind of start to discuss in a cool way and, suddenly, kicks and coursing words are thrown from everywhere.

And, do you know that in Italy grabbing your nuts (or testicles) is a sign of good luck? Let Danny Bhoy explain that to you.

Video 3:



He is performing in Melbourne and now he will focus on Australian accent. Would it be true that they give you a giant key when you go to the toilet in Australia? My friend Nasir could answer that.

If you happen to visit Australia, watch out, you may find lizards hanging on the door of the hotels (or “small dinosaurs” as Danny Bhoy calls them). The particular name of those lizards is Gecko. The owners of the hotels won’t move a finger if you asked them to remove those lizards.

And from the way Danny describes the bungee-jumping-like-English Australians speak I can have an idea of how my mate (mait) Nasir will talk next time he visits Peru.


Summing up, this Danny Bhoy was a pleasant discovery and I have to thank my friend for that.

3 comentarios:

  1. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. “..we have 2 suggestions now for the shop with bottles ..listen up settle down first Shop bottle jhon came up with that nice one jhon I like that there s nothing wrong with that mate. Shop bottle ´s got everything we need...I like that mate give himself one, listen up ..barry he´s gone with the bottle shop that´s good as well barry none wrong with it mate..

    ”No worries mate, it was my pleasure...I am quite surprised you understood everything he said..I still have some dramas to get everything he says. Definetely, it is much easier to undertand him than aussies from small towns in Queensland. Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed that mate... that bloke is fucking good. he really cracked me up with the bottle shop joke.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. No, Nasir, I really have to thank you, mate (Now I prefer to say the Australian "mate" rather than the dull American "dude"). You are right, that Bottle of Shop (or Bottle O' as the fancy Assuies prefer to say. Remember taht guy from the audience) thing was hillarious. I bursted out into millions of laughs. I will search more Danny Bhoys videos. And, yeah!, that bloke (guy) is bloody terrific.

    ResponderEliminar