sábado, 6 de febrero de 2016

O. Henry's American scenes - O. Henry

 
 
Among others, one of my favorite writers is, doubtless, O. Henry.
 
O. Henry's true name was William Sydney Porter, born in 1862, died in 1910. I can tell you, this man is the best storyteller I've ever read. I happened to find a collection of some of his stories in Mr Luna's library, in jirón Quilca, Lima.
 
Let me tell you, mate, reading a O. Henry's story is like ingressing into a world which ending you will never know. It's like flowing through a curvy current, enjoying the magnificent landscape at your sides until, suddenly, you witness one incredible turn in the whole shit.
 
I read this book in two days, and it was a mesmerizing experience for sure. O. Henry's stories are addictive, I can assure you that. I had plenty of quarrels with my wife because I couldn't do anything else (e.g. helping her with housekeeping now that I'm unemployed) but reading the goddamn book.
 
At the age of 27 he started to like booze and by that time his life was already a precious collection of sad stories. Years later, and with a lot of trouble he had endured, he moves to New York. This city is the scenario of the stories I read in the book my little Morganita is holding in the pic. She, also, is a voracious reader.
 
I could not say which of the 15 stories contained in this book I liked the most (because all of them were excellent). However, each story leaves you changed or at least moved.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario